This content is private or does not exist.
**Ballydehob 12 Arch Bridge** The 19th century saw the expansion of the railway system and with the Cork-Bandon Railway line extending to Bantry, Skibbereen and Baltimore plans were drawn-up to connect Crookhaven in the extreme west with Skibbereen. A narrow gauge railway was decided bridge4upon with the line initially going from Skibbereen to Schull with Goleen and Crookhaven to be connected later. Most of the line was laid along the route of the existing roadway but the problem of the steep incline entering and exiting Ballydehob was overcome by the erection of an imposing 12-Arch Bridge over the estuary. Completed in just 14 months the West Carbery Tramway and Light Railway line opened on 6th September 1886. Never a financial success and never being extended westwards to Crookhaven the last train ran on 27th January 1947. For most of its life there was a 15 mph (24kmh) speed limit on the railway. The tramway, however, has left the village with the magnificent 12 -Arch Bridge still dominating the estuary.
CardBallydehob Arts Mus...
Please rotate the device into landscape mode and insert into your VR headset.