This content is private or does not exist.
Finsbury Town Hall, view looking south along Rosebery Avenue around time of completion, 1895. Garnault Place to left The building usually known as Finsbury Town Hall was erected as Clerkenwell Vestry Hall in 1894–5, on cleared ground alongside the new Rosebery Avenue, adjoining the existing Vestry hall. In the late 1890s it was extended over the old Vestry hall site to cover the whole triangular block between Garnault Place and Rosoman Street. From 1900 it was the town hall of the new Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury. With two large rooms for public hire, the building was also used for dances and political meetings and, between 1899 and 1908, as the London base of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Many internal and external details are heavily influenced by the Art Nouveau - quite a radical statement considering when the Town Hall was built. The exterior glass and wrought iron canopy above the main entrance on Rosebery Avenue is one of such Art Nouveau detail; the stained glass very reminiscent of the Tiffany lamps that were so popular in the early 20th century.
Entrance (July 1895)
Please rotate the device into landscape mode and insert into your VR headset.