This content is private or does not exist.

-

INFO

"The Canadian Peacetime Sailors’ Memorial, also known as the Bonaventure Anchor Memorial, is “dedicated to the men and women who died while serving with the (Royal) Canadian Navy during peacetime.” It stands on the shore at Point Pleasant Park in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where the principal naval base of the RCN is located. The site previously served as the location of a searchlight battery that formed part of the harbour’s Second World War harbour defences. The monument was dedicated in 1973 by Rear Admiral Robert Walter Timbrell, CMM, DSC, CD, then Commander of Maritime Command. It consists of an anchor and chain from HMCS Bonaventure, the Royal Canadian Navy’s last aircraft carrier, in commission from 1957 to 1970 (and commanded by RAdm (then Captain) Timbrell between 1963 and 1965). The anchor is mounted on a concrete base with bronze plaques displaying the sailors’ names." - Halifax Military Heritage Society

    Please rotate the device into landscape mode and insert into your VR headset.