This content is private or does not exist.
This log house represents the first permanent dwellings Mennonites built in Manitoba. It was constructed by Julius and Katherina Dyck in 1876, the year they immigrated to Waldheim, south-east of Morden on the West Reserve in Manitoba. The Dycks were one of twenty-four families who settled in the village. The Waldheim House was the first heritage building moved to Mennonite Heritage Village in the 1960s. All renovations to the interior were removed upon its arrival, exposing only original features. The exterior walls are made mostly of oak logs, with tamarack logs used to replace rotten foundation logs. Interior walls were plastered with a mixture of clay, water, straw, and cow manure.
Many of the first dwellings Mennonites built in Manitoba would have had roofs thatched with locally available materials like Phragmites Reed or straw. When the Waldheim House was first moved to Mennonite Heritage Village, the museum installed a new thatched roof for it. That roof lasted until the late 1980s, when it needed to be replaced. At that point, the museum installed a metal roof with bundles of barley straw affixed to it, to replicate a thatched roof. Two decades later, the roof again needed attention as the metal sheeting had become exposed and the roof was failing, causing damage to the interior of the building. In 2017, MHV embarked on a major restoration of the building that featured installing a new roof thatched by Master Thatcher, Colin McGhee. The roof was completed on July 1, 2017.
Please rotate the device into landscape mode and insert into your VR headset.