This content is private or does not exist.
The English Immigrants The original settlers of the Westfield area were the Native American Woronokes and Pochassics, part of the Algonquin tribe, who lived here for centuries. The first European immigrants to come to Western Massachusetts were the English. In 1640, a group of fur traders set up a trading post near the Little River. In 1669, a group of men were given a charter from the English king to establish a settlement which was first called Streamfield and later changed to Westfield. In their charter, they were charged with building a church or meeting house. The first congregational meeting house was built along the Little River near the Landlord Fowler Tavern. As the settlement grew, a larger meeting house was built at the corner of Meadow and Main Streets (a replica of it can be seen in Stanley Park). Again, a larger building, now called the Congregational Church, was needed which was built at what is today, 18 Broad Street. The present First Congregational Church is the fourth building since 1669, and is still used today. Westfield remained predominantly English for nearly one hundred years before groups of immigrants from other countries began settling here.
Please rotate the device into landscape mode and insert into your VR headset.