• Info
  • Toggle gyroscope controls
  • Tiny planet view
  • Sound on/off
  • Edit
  • Virtual reality
  • Fullscreen
  • Unlisted
    Private
    Featured
  • HalifaxTrails.ca
    PRO
  • Like
    Share
    Add to tour
  • 3D

    The Prince of Wales Martello Tower in Point Pleasant Park - Halifax, Nova Scotia. For more information, visit: https://www.halifaxtrails.ca/point-pleasant-park/

      Close

      "The first Martello tower erected in Halifax, the Prince of Wales’ Tower was constructed between 1796 and 1798 under the direction of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and named for his brother, the future King George IV. Designed by Captain James Straton, C.R.E., it consisted of two stories with an embrasured parapet and was constructed of uncovered rubble metamorphosed slate, or ironstone, backed with brickwork. Located on the highest ground in Point Pleasant (125-feet above sea level), it stands 71 feet in diameter and 28 feet high. The walls at the base are 8 feet thick, tapering to just over 6 feet thick at the parapet. In the centre is a 13 foot diameter hollow shaft for hoisting ammunition from the magazine to the gun platform. It was designed to accommodate 200 men. Intended to supplement the defence of the Northwest Arm and to guard the rear approaches to Fort Ogilvie, and Northwest Arm and Point Pleasant Batteries, the Tower’s early armament consisted of four 68-pounder carronades and two 24-pounder cannons on the roof, and four 6-pounder cannons on the second floor or barrack level. There were also 35 musketry loopholes on the ground floor and a further eight on the second level." -Halifax Military Heritage Preservation Society