"Major General John Henry Bastide, Royal Engineers oversaw the initial construction of Northwest Arm Battery, along with Point Pleasant Battery, in the summer of 1762. Both were built in response to the French having captured St. John’s, Newfoundland in July that year and amid resulting concerns of an imminent attack on Halifax. Located on the western side of Point Pleasant, Northwest Arm Battery was intended to prevent enemy vessels from entering the Arm and attacking the Halifax peninsula from the west. It operated in conjunction with an armed Royal Navy sloop and chain boom located 700 yards further up the Arm, and it consisted initially of a Barbette Battery of ten 9-pound cannon. It was also known at the time as Flagstaff Battery. Northwest Arm Battery was upgraded in 1782 towards the end of the American Revolution (1775-1782) to mount four 18-pounders, two on each of the two faces of the lunette. Two 9-pounders were positioned on the flanks, en barbette, and a shot furnace was added for heating the cannon balls to be fired at enemy ships." - Halifax Military Heritage Preservation Society.